Square Domes International (SDI) offers the world's most efficient square and rectangular roofing and flooring structures. Based on principles used in Nature's high performance crystals (e.g. magnesium and titanium) SDI structures feature an omni-triangulated, 3-D truss. This truss can be modified to conform to various spherical, elliptical and asymmetrical contours to yield a host of roofing and flooring solutions having exceptional performance.
Unlike obsolescent systems relying on inefficient beams or unstable 2-D trusses, SDI designs offer the superior performance of 3-D truss technology for flat and curved roofs and floors. The improvement in performance over other designs is dramatic under real life concentrated load conditions in which 3-D trusses very effectively spread the loads.
Optimized for wooden designs, SDI structures present the benefits of natural materials with the advantages of modern analysis for maximum safety with minimum expenditure. Low structural weights and high load capacity mean large free span structures are feasible. Cupolas can be incorporated in roofs. Floors can be contoured for single or multiple drains.
- Light weight, high-performance designs provide added safety under all conditions, protecting the building inhabitants and investment
- Domed structures shed snow loads and have reduced aerodynamic loading
- Low wall costs with expansive free span ceilings
- Natural materials can be used
- Square Domes conserve natural resources by using material more efficiently
- Structures can be easily soundproofed and thermally insulated with non-outgassing material
- Domes support conventional roofing systems (e.g. Tyvec with shingles)
- Attractive versatile designs include cupolas, curved and flat roofs and floors
- Low-cost efficient designs employ panelized construction. (Cost estimates for paneled, insulated and shingled domes range from $5 per square foot for large trussed domes to $11 per square foot for small domes with cupolas and high quality electric windows, based on North Carolina, USA labor and material prices. Note: Wall and interior costs are extra.)
Advanced discrete element analysis performed by SDI provides maximum safety and structural efficiency. Full specifications, drawings and easy to follow instructions allow rapid construction by local builders using standard building materials (e.g. 2" x 4", 2" x 6" or 2" x 8" lumber and 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" plywood).
Ease of fabrication results in quick building construction with minimal tooling. Small SDI wooden designs can be built with a table saw, drill press and simple hand tools for assembly. Designs for larger structures utilize a band saw or similar cutting tool. Complete instructions supplied by SDI are easy to implement. Based on your specifications SDI will design, analyze, optimize and fully specify your structure.
Sample Structural Diagrams
High Performance Rectangular Dome with Integral Truss
Small Dome with Cupola and Plywood & Truss Floor